It's on between Israel and Hamas starting today here in Israel. If you haven't seen the news follow the link. I don't think there is any need to worry about us. If it gets bad we will move into a hotel in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. If it continues we will go to Zagreb. For now its under control. Around our house the streets were empty this afternoon. All of Israel was glued to the TV seeing what happened and speculating about what is next.
What is new about our situation? When we chose our home we were what was considered to be out of range of Gaza rockets. However relaxed boarders during the cease fire over the last six months allowed Hamas to smuggle in better rockets with more range. They can now hit were we live and I work. These rockets are not accurate or huge explosives, they damage what they hit, not take out a whole neighborhood. As a side note the rockets they shoot are named Katushas, the company that makes these in Russia is sponsoring a new pro cycling team by the same name for 2009. I'm guessing Team Katusha wouldn't be welcome in Israel.
Lots of views on this but my attitude is why can't we all just get along? From where I sit Hamas keeps shooting rockets at Israel. A coworker had her house hit last spring and thanks to the warning alarm her family barely got to the safe room in time. Hamas has been asking for this for a while, they kept poking the bear and now its mad and going to chase them. From what I've seen they started it and I'll bet Israel is going to finish this.
Our house has a bomb shelter room, steel reinforced concrete with sold steel door and window shades. Probably an overreaction but in the category of better safe than sorry it is the girls new bedroom. Everett and I will join if necessary (remember Momma is in Croatia on a visit now). Yes it is a bit stressful but no need to worry about us, if it gets scary we will get to safety.
1 comment:
Team Katusha? I've always wanted to attend the tour de France. Maybe we can go heckle these guys!
Post a Comment